Stripped, scraped, and sanded clean.. I fixed seven cracks in the top alone.
Developing the finish.. I’m still working on it. I mixed shellac from scratch, and am constantly modifying the formula to try to match the scroll and pegbox, which are original. It has been a struggle, but has come a long way.
I had not planned on doing a blog on this project, but here are some random pics to show some of the extensive work I did on this violin. Please excuse the disjointed nature of this blog, it is my first- and I’m trying to get the hang of the software. I will strive to improve on upcoming projects.
Neck removed, made repairs to faulty neck block
I scraped the top crack repair dead flush. This is a common practice, and leaves the wood in better shape for finishing than spot sanding.
Trimmed the sides back to a flush surface, and reglued
Reamed the endpin hole to a tapered hole
Closed up more open seams
Sealer coat and rubbed.. Nice, but too yellow..
Better now! 😉
Original finish on scroll and pegbox
After days of finishing work, still unsatisfied. Looks nice, but not consistent with the original character of the violin..
Back to bare wood on the sides and back. It’s worth the effort. 😉
After countless hours of reformulation and experimentation, I am finally bringing the fiddle to an appropriate finish. These flash photos are not retouched, and the finish is still being developed. It has been challenging, but I think the result will justify the effort.
I think one of my favorite features of this violin is the close placement of the purfling to the edge of the fiddle. It really is exquisite. 😉
Reglued the neck permanently.. Hot hide glue is great stuff!
Finished up all the picky detail work and final polishing, then assembled and set it up..